In Garrison Keillor's(?) introduction to his collection of poetry
titled, Good Poems for Hard Times,
he mentions that, after a couple of years of eager attempts at writing
poetry, he finally realized that he did poetry a greater service by enjoying it, rather than
creating it.
I fear I am in the midst of drawing the same conclusion. Poetry is
not my forte, and while I may be a delighted aficionado, I fear I am not a poet. (That is, in the generic sense of the word.)
Nevertheless, a couple of times while sitting (lying, lounging...
or as much as you can lounge on a stone wall) on a thick stone wall that rises
from the edge of the river on the Paseo de los Tristes, I've found myself
pulling my journal from my bag and putting my hand to poetry.
For better or
worse, I thought I'd share:
Poem 1, Untitled
Shoulders and knees and gracefully coned feet
pressed hard to stone.
Head folded into hands folded into book
folded into brook gurgling a stone’s throw below.
Street musicians’ low keen: hand drums and sax and jazz
and half-hippy absently plucking
scratched guitar on a bench nearby.
Footsteps of passersby
folded into hands and book and stone,
folded into sunlight freckling my shoulders.
Composing verses in my head,
lines I might write if the story
weren’t complete as it is.
Breeze a whisper of young couples
--children, really—flirting beneath fountains
And someone’s mutt nosing curiously
a passing puppy,
and stone beneath me
warmed by a thousand other pages
of transient lives.
_ _ _ _ _
Poem 2, Untitled
Blushing reds,
vines trailing carelessly from pots in black iron window grates
paint chipping, peeling away in haphazard strips
revealing brick, unintended,
creative degenerativity.
Violin accompanying brook’s gurgling
lending melody to its childlike babbling.
Sun dancing through dappled leaves
footsteps, sneakered feet of tourists,
heels of locals clicking smartly on uneven cobbled streets,
my own sandaled feet tucked neatly beneath folded legs,
notebook abandoned, blank pages flipping aimlessly in breeze.
Poetry, words, prayer unnecessary:
Holiness of fiddle, and brook,
and freckling morning sunshine on cobbled streets,
and footsteps of strangers,
and me, offering grateful silence to prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment